The Centre for Journalism Innovation and Development and New Narratives invite applications for a newly created role in our Ghana team to lead editorial output and manage partnerships supporting journalism on air pollution.
This role will suit an entrepreneurial, senior journalist and team player with experience in major newsrooms in Ghana. The successful candidate will have a keen interest in issues of air pollution, the environment and climate change and an extensive network of contacts in the field.
Term: 12 months with the possibility of extension.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and CV to [email protected] by midnight 29 June 2023.
About the role:
Senior Editor/Project Manager will:
- Become an in-house expert on issues related to air pollution and build a strong network of stakeholders and experts to support journalism production.
- Manage key relationships with leading Ghanaian media outlets
- Support commissioning and editing of investigations by journalism fellows
- Conduct the occasional investigation
- Design and coordinate workshops
- Conduct surveys of media leadership and other stakeholders
- Support production of monthly podcast/radio programs
- The role will include 20% of the time on project management.
What We’re Looking For:
- 8+ years of demonstrated experience as a journalist, including in leading independent Ghanaian newsrooms
- Demonstrated strong news judgment and investigative journalism skills
- Experience as an editor
- Entrepreneurial mindset, willing to lead a new program and help make adjustments and recommendations to benefit the project.
- Extensive network among the leadership of critical media outlets in Ghana
- Confidence to make connections with key stakeholders, especially in the government
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience in editing or reporting on issues of pollution, environment or climate
- Strong commitment to ethical journalism practices
- Team player able to work with remote leadership
Desirable (but not required)
- Training experience
- Radio production
About the organizations:
The Centre for Journalism Innovation and Development (CJID) is a West African media innovation and development think (and do) tank. We leverage journalism, innovation, and open data to promote democratic values and sustainable development in West Africa.
New Narratives is a US-registered newsroom and news ecosystem builder. Our mission is to support independent news organizations in low-income countries to give citizens the information they need to play their roles in democracy: driving change, spreading good ideas and keeping leaders accountable. By targeting funding, editorial and business-building support to impactful, independent media in each market, we create a virtuous cycle where partner newsrooms set a higher standard for people-centred, fact-based reporting. Rival media lift their standards to compete. A more healthy media market lifts the quality of journalism across the board.